Walking is a fun way to explore the city, plus it’s a low-impact form of active transportation that is accessible to almost everyone! Consider walkingthe next time you need to take a trip within one (1) mile of your home. Not only can walking help decrease Austin pollution and traffic congestion, it’s also an easy way to lower health risks like high blood pressure, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes. During Smart Trips, we’ll host walking groups that’ll help you discover the best routes across your neighborhood and help you burn calories while you get to and from home, work or an evening out with friends. Check out our calendar to find the next walking event near you.
The following informational walking materials are available for delivery. Fill out an order form to request walking materials in your Toolkit.
- Central Austin Community Map – Custom map of neighborhood destinations, bus and bike routes, and recommended neighborhood strolls
- Explore Rosedale Stroll Map – Use this map to explore destinations like Ramsey Park, the Moore-Hancock Farmstead, and the Yarborough Library
- Explore North Loop Stroll Map – Use this map to explore destinations like Waller Creek, the North Loop IBIZ District, and a Little Free Library
- Explore Hyde Park Stroll Map – Use this map to explore destinations like the Elisabet Ney Museum, Shipe Park, and the Hyde Park historic District
- Stroll Map References
- Walk Smart Brochure – Safe walking tips for Austinites
- Let’s Walk to School – Safety coloring and activity book for children (Order this as part of your toolkit)
Walking & Hiking Resources
- Top 5 Tucked Away Hiking Trails in Austin | 365thingsinaustin.com
- MapMyWalk – Check out the best walks in Austin and then plan, track, analyze and share your journey with the MapMyWalk community.
- American Heart Association – The best way to prevent chronic diseases is to walk more! Take the first step to a healthier life by browsing the American Heart Association’s Walking site for advice on stretching, shoes, and injury prevention.
- Scenic Strolls & Easy Hikes in Austin | FreeFunInAustin.com