Walking is a fun way to explore the city, plus it’s a low-impact form of active transportation that is accessible to almost everyone! Consider walking the next time you need to take a trip within 1 mile of your home. Not only can walking help decrease Austin pollution and traffic congestion, it’s also an easy way to lower health risks like high blood pressure, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes. During Smart Trips, we’ll host walking groups that’ll help you discover the best routes across your neighborhood and help you burn calories while you get to and from home, work or an evening out with friends.
- Walk Smart Brochure – Safe walking tips for Austinites
Walking & Hiking Resources
- Top 5 Tucked Away Hiking Trails in Austin | 365thingsinaustin.com
- MapMyWalk – Check out the best walks in Austin and then plan, track, analyze and share your journey with the MapMyWalk community.
- American Heart Association – The best way to prevent chronic diseases is to walk more! Take the first step to a healthier life by browsing the American Heart Association’s Walking site for advice on stretching, shoes, and injury prevention.
- Scenic Strolls & Easy Hikes in Austin | FreeFunInAustin.com