Are you passionate about helping people connect to their community? Do you want to have an impact in assisting fellow Austinites increase their mobility by walking, bicycling, scooting, riding the bus, and carpooling? If so, this job is for you!
This year, the City of Austin and Capital Metro have partnered to bring the Smart Trips Austin program to the northern portion of the Eastern Crescent. The program will help residents try new transportation options through personalized communications and community engagement, the distribution of customized information and incentives, and fun events like walking tours, bike rides, scooter tours, and transit adventures.
Smart Trips Austin is currently hiring one full-time, Communications Ambassador to conduct community outreach and lead online communications for the 2019 program. The Communications Ambassador will be hired and managed by members of the project team from the Austin Transportation Department, Capital Metro, and Alta Planning + Design and will work closely with two other outreach ambassadors.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the public face of the program, the Communications Ambassador will be responsible for working with the project team to lay the foundation for a successful program. Before the Smart Trips Austin program launches in May 2019, the Communications Ambassador will build relationships with East Austin organizations to plan events and develop outreach strategies. When the program launches, the Communications Ambassador, along with two other Outreach Ambassadors who will be hired onto the program in May, will be responsible for inviting Austin residents to sign up to receive a Toolkit of transportation resources like maps, bus schedules, and safety tools. Together, the ambassadors will identify additional partnership opportunities, plan and lead program events, and provide tailored information to residents which encourage the use of sustainable modes of transportation. Ultimately, the Communications Ambassador will be tasked with writing content and delivering information that encourages and supports East Austin residents in changing their transportation behaviors.
The ambassador will work approximately 40 hours per week (including some weekends and evenings) both indoors and outdoors from April to November. Approximately 50% of time will be spent on communications, 30% on community engagement, and 20% on event execution.
Communication Ambassador Duties
The Smart Trips Austin Communications Ambassador will have these duties:
- Develop and implement a variety of outreach and online community initiatives for the Smart Trips Austin Program.
- Attend community meetings and serve as a primary contact for local organizations and residents to learn about and partner with the Smart Trips Austin Program (smarttripsaustin.org).
- Provide information and resources about multi-modal transportation options in Austin both online and in person.
- Work with the Smart Trips Team to develop and implement a communications strategy with messages reaching a diverse audience via newsletters, advertisements, and social media posts.
- Identify and establish partnerships with the community for future educational transportation events in the target area.
- Assist in planning community events, such as group bike rides and trainings, themed walks, transit adventures, and scooter tours.
- Work with and schedule tabling opportunities with community groups, business associations, and other local organizations.
- Attend neighborhood events like farmers’ markets and street festivals to promote the Smart Trips Austin program, invite residents to participate, answer questions about transportation options, and distribute transportation information.
- Represent the City of Austin, Capital Metro, and the Smart Trips Austin program in a positive, responsible, and professional way.
Candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Responsive, prompt, punctual, and reliable;
- Familiar with and has personal daily experience using transportation options including: walking, bicycling, transit, dockless mobility options, rideshare, and other sustainable transportation tools and programs;
- Comfortable and confident in speaking with the public and can communicate effectively with diverse audiences;
- Experience coordinating and delivering community education, outreach, and engagement programs;
- Excellent writing and language skills, especially as it relates to education and storytelling;
- Works well in a team and fosters team spirit;
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, and passionate to make a positive change in our society;
- Works well in an unstructured and informal environment with limited supervision;
- Good at solving problems and thinking creatively;
- Enthusiastic about transportation, civic affairs, and helping community members;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, social media and web-based marketing applications, and WordPress.
- Involved resident with strong familiarity of East Austin neighborhoods;
- Experience with public outreach initiatives specifically involving transportation, health, safety, benefits information, or similar content;
- Experienced in bicycling in urban traffic, owns a bicycle in good working condition and safety equipment;
- Knowledge of bicycle laws and bike mechanic skills (League Certified Bicycling Instructor a plus).
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic design tools.
- Position duration: Approximately April 1st, 2019 – November 30, 2019
- Compensation: $16.00-$18.00 with healthcare stipend
- Workspace located in East Austin
- Hours vary based on project timeline: Full time (40 hours/week including weekends) for April through November
Please send a resume, cover letter, and writing samples (if available) by end of day Monday, March 18th, to email@example.com. Please include the words “Smart Trips Austin Ambassador” in the subject line. Electronic submissions only; no mailed or faxed submissions will be considered. No phone calls, please.
 Generally, the southern boundary of Lady Bird Lake, eastern & northern boundary of 183, and western boundaries of I-35 and Airport Blvd.