April Is Distracted Driver Awareness Month
Between 2013 and 2017, distracted driving contributed to 17% of fatal crashes in Austin. At Smart Trips Austin we want EVERYONE to have the safest possible trip, so here are some smart tips to help you keep your eyes on the road.
- Use audio turn by turn on your GPS or have a passenger help you navigate GPS directions. If you need to take a call behind the wheel use a bluetooth or hands free device.
- Using an auxiliary cable allows you to hear calls, music, and gps directions clearly through your speakers.
- Have your playlist ready to go before you start your drive.
- Set your phone to driving mode, driving mode blocks notifications while you are in motion and is available on most devices including Iphones.
- Don’t eat and drive, set aside some time enjoy your meal while you’re not behind the wheel.
- Not only is talking and texting on the phone while driving unsafe, in Austin you can be fined up to $500 for using a hand held device while driving.
According to the national highway traffic safety administration the average driver takes their eyes off the road for 5 seconds while looking at a text, at 55 miles per hour that is like driving the length of a football field blindfolded!