August 22, 2019
Mornings can be hectic, but we’ve got some tips to help you get to school safely & stress-free! The time of year has come and Austin’s youth are headed back to class. We put together some helpful tips on how to get to school safely using your feet & pedaling by bike – so you don’t have to rely on a car!
Don’t stop the beat, use your feet!
- Walk with a group because not only is it more fun, but a group is more visible. Chatting with friends can be distracting as well, so be sure to still pay attention to the world around you.
- Speaking of paying attention, take extra caution when you are crossing driveways and parking lot entrances or exits.
- When crossing streets use the crosswalk, wait for the walk signal, and always look left-right-left even when the signal says walk.
- When getting to school, cross at the designated Crossing Guard stations. Remember to wait for the Crossing Guard to signal you to cross.
Books up, bike wheels down!
- Did you know riding a bike in the city is sometimes faster than driving a car? Plan ahead and put your bike by the door with tires pumped the night before.
- Wear a helmet and bright colored clothing so that others can see you.
- Obey traffic signs and lights. Use hand signals when stopping or turning.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic and use the right-hand side of the road.
For both biking and walking, look both ways before crossing the street and stay alert for cars backing out of driveways. Don’t forget to fill your water bottle, and drink often along the way!
Check out the Safe Routes To School program, who can provide you with Crossing Guard locations so you don’t have to cross the street alone. You can also see which Safe Routes to School projects might be coming to your neighborhood! Austin Public Works’ Safe Routes Program has just published draft reports with potential projects for City Council Districts 3, 5, and 7. Learn more here.
Need help planning a route? Contact us and we help plan your route with free ice cream included! To learn more about school safety tips, head to Safe Kids Austin and Ghisallo Cycling Initiative’s segments on Fox7 News!
Want a customized map and transportation discounts? Sign-up to receive our free customized E-Toolkit delivered to your email inbox instantaneously!