Reliable and affordable transportation solutions are important to ensure you make it to your weekly appointments, grocery trips, family gatherings, doctor’s trips, and more. Many transportation providers offer reduced cost options to qualifying Austinites.
Learn about all the reduced cost programs available to you. Below are the details for each provider so you can see all your options for making Smart Trips around town!
Capital Metro Reduced Fare ID Card Program
The Reduced Fare ID (RFID) Card enables eligible riders to receive a half-price fare. The card costs $3 and is good for 2 years.
To qualify for the RFID Card, you must be in ONE of the following groups:
- Seniors 65 and older
- Medicare card holders
- Active-duty military personnel
- Riders with disabilities (see eligibility guidelines)
Students 6-18 who do not have a school ID issued by their school can also apply for an RFID card. Eligible riders must have the RFID Card with them in order to receive the reduced fare. Lost, stolen or damaged cards cost $3 to replace for the first 2 replacements. The 3rd replacement costs $6. You can replace your card at the Transit Store.
How to apply (there are several ways to get an application for an RFID Card):
- Pick up an application at the Transit Store.
- Call 512-389-7475 and request an application in the mail.
- Download the application from one of the following locations:
- For riders with disabilities (if needed in large print)
- For seniors, Medicare card holders and eligible students 6-18 (if needed in large print)
- Accessible application forms are also available upon request. Call 512-389-7475, or send an email to [email protected].
How to use your RFID Card to board the bus:
- Tap it on the target area of the farebox. Be prepared to show your ID to the bus operator, if requested.
- Insert exact cash fare or a Stored Value Card into the top of the farebox, or swipe your pass through the card reader.
- If needed, ask the bus operator for a Reduced Day Pass.
Austin BCycle For All
BCycle For All follows in Austin BCycle’s mission to improve the mobility, economy, and health of the Austin community. In order to make bike share accessible for low-income earners, BCycle offers qualifying residents annual memberships for $5 (with tax included)!
Participants in BCycle For All get all the same benefits of a Local365 membership: access to nearly 600 BCycles at 76 stations around Austin, and you can ride as many times as you like for up to 60 minutes at one time, without additional fees. Youth memberships have the same access privileges and also come with a free bike helmet!
To qualify for the BCycle for All program, you must:
- Be an Austin resident
- Have an annual household income of $25,000 or less
- NOT be a full-time student
Children ages 13-17 are eligible for Youth memberships based on their parent’s eligibility.
How to apply: fill out the Eligibility Form online.
Bird Access is a program that provides discounted access to those eligible for state or federal assistance. Bird Access provides unlimited 30 minute rides for just $5 per month to those eligible for state or federal assistance.
To qualify for One Bird, you must:
- Be currently enrolled in or eligible for a state or federal assistance program, including but not limited to Medicaid, SNAP, or discounted utility bill.
How to apply: Submit a request here by choosing the form “Sign Up for Equity Program” and provide proof of eligibility.
RED, WHITE & BIRD is available to active duty and retired military personnel.
Lime Access offers an affordable way to use Lime in Austin. Lime partners with PayNearMe in the United States to support a text-to-unlock feature, both of which promote equitable mobility by removing the barrier of smartphone and credit card ownership.
Lime Access members receive the following pricing for Lime-S electric scooters: 50 cents to unlock, +7 cents per minute (a discount of 50% or more).
To qualify for Lime Access, you must:
- Participate in any local, state, or federally-run assistance program
How to apply:
- Use this link to securely submit your information to Lime.
- Enter your Full Name, Phone Number, Valid government-issued photo ID, and proof of low income status (e.g. EBT card, discounted utility bill, or any other state or federally-run assistance program document)
- A Lime representative will get back to you within 2 business days with any next steps and further information.
Once you’ve joined Lime Access, you can also pay using cash at one of PayNearMe’s 27,000+ retail locations.
Spin Access is our low-income subsidy program, which provides a variety of cheaper ride rates to users with limited incomes. Rates are typically 50 cents to unlock + 7 cents per minute. Spin Access also provides access to our scooters for people without smartphones, mobile location services, or credit cards.
To qualify for Spin Access, you must:
- Submit proof of address and one of the following documents: letter vouching for status by local state or federal case worker, enrollment document or card, or federal tax return.
How to apply: Click here to apply. You will receive an email with your discount code in 2-4 days. If you have any questions about Spin Access or need help filling out the form, please call: (888) 262-5189 or email: [email protected].
Revel is committed to finding new and innovative ways to maximize the number of residents with the Revel Access program.
Revel Access provides a 40% discount across all rates. Military Discounts provide a 20% discount at all rates.
To qualify for Revel Access, you must:
- Fill out this form with your name, date of birth, email associated with your Revel account and a photo of any documentation that you are eligible or participating in any local, state, or federally administered assistance program.
- Active Duty members, Reservists, National Guard members, Veterans and Retirees of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard are eligible for a Military Discount. Email [email protected] with your name, date of birth, email associated with your Revel account and a photo (front and back) of your Veteran/Active Military ID.
How to apply: Sign up for an account through the Revel app. Once approved, your account will be issued a $10 riding credit and pricing will reflect Revel Access program rates.