Walking is a fun way to explore the city, plus it’s a low-impact form of active transportation that is accessible to almost everyone! Consider walking the next time you need to take a trip within 1 mile of your home. Not only can walking help decrease Austin pollution and traffic congestion, but it’s also an easy way to lower health risks like high blood pressure, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.
Have a favorite walking route? Send us an email with your favorite route and we will turn it into a Walking Map! In the email please include a screen shot of your walk in google maps and a brief explanation of why this walk is special to you. All Walking Maps will be shared with the public at the end of the 2020 program.
Stay tuned to our events page where we post upcoming walking tours that’ll help you discover the best routes across your neighborhood and help you burn calories while you get to and from home, work or an evening out with friends.
*Estos recursos solo están disponibles in inglés.
- Eastside Community Map & Neighborhood Strolls / Mapa de la comunidad del este de Austin y paseos por el vecindario* – Find neighborhood destinations, bus and bike routes, and recommended adventures. Thank you to Six Square for their support in the development of this map!
- Guided Trail Maps of East Austin / Mapas de caminos guiados del este de Austin – Follow the guide to navigate the Mueller Trail, Southern Walnut Creek Trail, and Tejano Trail.
- South Austin Neighborhood Strolls / Paseos del sur de Austin* – Explore Auditorium Shores, The Blunn Creek Greenbelt, and Zilker Park and Barton Springs.
- Rosedale Stroll / Paseo de Rosedale* – Take a two mile stroll around Ramsey Park.
- Explore North Loop / Explora North Loop* – Get some exercise will checking out the North Loop Business District.
- Explore Hyde Park / Explora Hyde Park* – Take this two mile loop around Hyde Park to visit the Elizabeth Ney Museum and the Shipe House.
- Quail Creek Park / Parque de Quail Creek – Check out the Rundberg YMCA and Little Walnut Creek Library on this 1.5 mile stroll.
Walking & Hiking Resources
- Top 5 Tucked Away Hiking Trails in Austin | 365thingsinaustin.com
- MapMyWalk / MapMyWalk* – Check out the best walks in Austin and then plan, track, analyze and share your journey with the MapMyWalk community.
- American Heart Association / MapMyWalk* – The best way to prevent chronic diseases is to walk more! Take the first step to a healthier life by browsing the American Heart Association’s Walking site for advice on stretching, shoes, and injury prevention.
- Scenic Strolls & Easy Hikes in Austin / Paseos panorámicos y caminatas fáciles en Austin*
- Walk Smart Brochure / Folleto de Walk Smart* – Safe walking tips for Austinites
- Pedestrian Safety and the Law / Seguridad de los peatones y la ley – What every driver and pedestrian should know about pedestrian laws – and safe behaviors – in Austin.
- How to Use a Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon / Aprenda a usar una baliza híbrada para peatones – Best practices for Drivers and Walkers
- Know the Right of Way, Clear the Right of Way / Conocer el derecho de paso, despejar el derecho de paso – Enhancing Neighborhood Safety by Creating a Safer Pathway.
- Connecting our Community Sidewalk / Conectando las aceras de la comunidad* – Where to Cross Safely & Legally
- Pedestrian Safer Journey / Viaje peatonal seguro* – Start them young with safety videos for children in elementary, middle, and highschool